01. Certain albums, songs and mixes make me think of something tangible. it's like one song can make me think of a flat wafer while another could make me think of green towers and another can make me think of a pink musicbox. it's not always the same type of things.. sometimes I just get half of an image before it disappears. one mix I made last year which I feel was the best I ever did reminded me of weightlessness in a hot air balloon flying amongst circuitry. the mix I made the other week makes me think of green fields and rough craggly tumbleweeds though.
02. I shall reiterate this.... oh oh oh's are greater than la la la's. it must be a distinct 'oh' too.. not an 'ooooh' since sometimes those suck.
03. If I put a song on a mix, most likely I'll like it 10x better than before.. especially if I make it for someone and am waiting for their reaction. I'll play the mix over and over again till I memorise each inch of it / know basically when the best parts start and if that other person will hear them, too the way I do. actually, sometimes I put my least favourite tracks from bands I like on a mix to make me like them better. it's been awhile though... I still get pretentious and put interludes I would otherwise not care much for out of context but not overall songs I dislike.
04. I may buy these albums, but I absolutely hate when they have those pretentious 15-19min ender tracks of just like keys jangling or rain falling or... cars driving by. I mean, HATE. especially if there's a big gap of silence of like 5-10min till it gets to that part. I don't really understand these things. it ruins my enjoyment of the album. I'm just glad they take place at the end for the most part so I can just turn it off when I get to it.
05. Also hate jamming. I'll say this a billion times. perhaps it's also why I don't entirely get into ambient as a whole either... only the ambient that shifts a lot. I absolutely hate the same chord over and over and over again for hours. I try to like it, but really.. if by the third listen, I don't hear the distinct changes that make me feel something, I'm not listening again since I see it as a waste of time.
06. Sometimes I like to rock out, but if it's just loud shouting racket? I want it gone. one reason I hate a lot of punk and metal. elements of each are cool for the record though.
07. If a song has a lot of violin in it, I will sit in contentment no matter what.
08. Sometimes I'll ignore the story/theme of the songs on a mix as long as the transition between tracks is so magnificent I die.
09. For awhile I listened to a lot of instrumental, but lately I try to pick up on stuff I can sing along with for the most part... 'cause I find singing along to be the most calming activity I can muster. I may not sing well, but it doesn't matter.
10. If a band becomes too popular (not including Arcade Fire), I'll probably become less interested. it isn't out of pretension, but out of overkill. if I hear anything too often, it's too much. I think that's why I always, everyday, am in the search of new things, so I can always go back to the old things in my collection later on knowing I made the right choice.
[ETA: I forgot.. this was an important one I thought of yesterday which started this mental list.. go figure I'd forget it.
Bonus 11. If a mix has Hood on it, I'll automatically like it. all my fav. mixes happened to have a Hood song or two.. seriously]
If I think of anymore things, I'll add to this, but this is enough for now.
Oh! also, while I'm here, check out this band, Tugboat
. I think it's rather delightful. especially the song Apples